Good Afternoon Everyone! Today I wanted to share the things that I look for in a foundation. I currently use two foundations constantly (the Tarte Amazonian Clay & the Bareminerals Bareskin). These two have a few similarities and also a few differences, but overall they have all the qualities I look for. I am currently thinking about getting a new foundation soon. This guide will help me determine which foundation on the market is best for me! Please leave any of your tips in the comments!
What I Look For In a Foundation:
1. Coverage – high medium to full coverage. This is #1 for a reason. I will only consider a foundation if it has the coverage I want. I have acne and a few troubled areas so whenever I do wear foundation, I want these areas to be somewhat covered. A lot of foundations claim to be medium to full coverage, but this is only the case if you apply a lot of the product. I only want to use a little bit of the product on my face, therefore I need a foundation that will give the coverage with a tiny bit of product. On Sephora & Ulta’s website, you can filter the foundations to the coverage you prefer. I would definitely use these resources to help!
2. Variety of colors. Being a woman of color, there are some brands that do not have a product for my skin shade. With any foundation I get, I never want to have to mix colors together so it can match my skin tone. It is also important to me that I am giving my money to a company that believes in representing all skin shades.
3. Satin to Matte Finish – on me personally I like these finishes for my skin type. My everyday foundation, the Tarte Amazonian clay is a matte finish, whereas the Bareminerals one has a satin finish. I use to only prefer the matte finish, but I love the satin finish. The next foundation I get, I would like it to have a satin dewy finish, however, I am not giving up on matte foundations.
4. Long Wearing – has to last longer than 8 hours. One thing I do not do throughout the day is reapply or touch up my makeup. I just do not have the time, nor do I want to. Therefore, I need a foundation that will last me a full 8 hours and even longer. Although, the foundation may last that long, another benefit is if the foundation keeps the same coverage throughout. I know some days I am busier than others, so I may be sweating or have wiped my face several times. I am okay if the makeup does not look as perfect as before in these situations.
5. Not Cakey. I have acne prone skin and my faces gets very oily. Some foundations attach to my breakouts at times. Or other times, I may try and cover up a blemish by adding more product to the area. If the foundation is cakey, then you can definitely tell. Although, this may be hard to avoid, there are ways to prevent this.
Current Favorite Foundations:
- Tarte Amazonian Clay
- Bareminerals Bareskin
- Covergirl Clean Matte
- Clinique Beyond Perfecting Foundation & Concealer
Brushes I use to apply my foundation:
My favorite three makeup brushes that I use to apply my foundations and powders are: the Real Techniques Buffing Brush, the Sigma F80 Flat Kabuki Brush, and the Morphe m439 Brush. These brushes are very similar but have few differences. Overall each can be used to apply liquid foundations,powder foundations, and powders.